Sunday, February 17, 2013

Townsend's Solitaire

The past month or so, Fenner Nature Center has played host to a rare visitor, the Townsend's Solitaire (Myadestes townsendi).  The Townsend's Solitaire has a normal range that extends from Alaska to Mexico, along the Rocky Mountains.  Its extended range ends roughly around the Mississippi River.  A Townsend's Solitaire this far east does not happen often.  I do not know much about birds - dragonflies and butterflies are more my thing - but I fortunately recognized the Solitaire from a few photos that other Fenner visitors have taken of it.  It was very sociable and let me take numerous photos.  It even sat patiently there while I unpacked my tripod, so that I could mount my camera to take some video.  After watching it for a while and replaying the video to confirm, I believe this little guy only has one foot.  It appears that its left foot is missing.  I have posted the video below.  The chirping later in the video is not the Solitaire, but some feisty chickadees that kept bouncing around.

1 comment: