Saturday, April 20, 2013

Water, Water Everywhere

So far this April, the Lansing area has received over seven inches of rain.  The average tops out just over three inches, so we are having what one could call a wet spring.  The rain the past few days has warranted the lowering of all the barriers of the dam in Old Town to make sure that the river upstream does not overflow its bank.  Even with the barriers down to facilitate faster flow, the water level on the downstream side of the dam is only a few feet below the upstream side where usually there is a much deeper drop.  I wish I could get out in my kayak on the downstream portion and kayak to Grand Ledge, but I do not foresee an opportunity to do that in the immediate future.  I hope we continue to have enough rain this summer to keep the rivers higher than last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment