Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Starry Sky

This past weekend, my brother-in-law and I spend some time at our new cabin putting up insulation and a gate and also kayaking a bit.  I set up my camera on Friday night and took some long exposure photos of the stars.  The moon was nearly half full, but even that lit up the sky pretty well, so I did not have the darkest environment I would have liked.  The photo above is a 30 minute exposure with the middle of the photo focused on the North Star.  The axis of the earth points in the general direction of the North Star, which remains stationary in the sky while the other stars appear to swirl around it.  I am not completely happy with my first attempt at making a photo like this, as the star "trails" are slightly out of focus.  I attribute that to the dew that started to form on my lens nearly immediately upon starting this experiment.  I hope to have many more chances to try to capture similar photos in the years to come.

1 comment:

  1. My one attempt at star trails also encountered a major dew problem. If you discover a solution to this let me know.

    ReplyDelete