Thursday, May 1, 2014

Burke Lake

A couple weekends ago, I learned of a little lake in the Rose Lake State Wildlife Research Area, called Burke Lake, that I never knew existed.  I finally had the opportunity to visit the lake the other day and I was very excited by what I found.  Burke Lake is not a large lake, but it appears to be fairly deep.  It has several small streams that feed it with a significant amount of marshy ground surrounding it.  With an open field to the west and a field with clumps of woody foliage to the south, this should be prime dragonfly and butterfly habitat.  The lake reminded me of something you would see in the Upper Peninsula around the area where we have our cabin.  The only downside to all of this, is that it appears that the locals like to build fires along the shore and leave large piles of beer cans.  The next time I go out there, I plan to take a couple trash bags to pick up rubbish and cans.

No comments:

Post a Comment