Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mosquito Falls

 The aptly named Mosquito Falls are located upstream about a mile from where the Mosquito River flows into Lake Superior at Mosquito Beach.  I have been to the Pictured Rocks numerous times over the past several decades and have never ventured out to see these waterfalls.  Coming from the trail head parking lot that services the Mosquito Beach and Chapel Beach area, you first encounter a nice sized waterfall that is relatively plain.  It is difficult to photograph because of its location and I was sort of disappointed by this, as I had imagined something different from the photos I had seen.  Not too far up the trail, you come to the real Mosquito Falls that have several cascading layers.  I imagine these are quite beautiful in the spring or after a big rainfall when the whole falls have water flowing over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment