Thursday, April 4, 2013

Modernity Along The River Trail

To say the least, modern art and architecture do not rate highly on my list of favorite things.  However, from time to time they do make for good photos.  On my walk along the River Trail Saturday, I shot some photos of the Lansing Center and the "Inspiration" sculpture near the City Market.  The photo of the Lansing Center above shows what I can only describe as buttresses, though I do not think they actually serve that purpose.  I think they look like a row of mailbox flags.  The photo of the sculpture called "Inspiration" below shows the twisted polished stainless steel against the blue sky.  From a distance it looks like a Jesus fish upright on its tail, which I doubt was the sculptor's intention.  The sculpture reportedly cost $225,000, but thankfully local charitable groups footed the bill and not the taxpayers.  One wonders how much good that sum of money could have done actually helping people in need.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks about how many people could have been helped with the money "wasted" on frou-frous.
    This morning when I heard about the Mighty Mac being lit up in blue during April for Autism Awareness, with the bill being paid for by private donations, all I could think of was how much better it would have been to spend that money on research to find the cause and a cure.

    ReplyDelete